Resuscitation Options and Preferences
Principal investigator: Dre Eve Rubli Truchard
Co-investigator: Prof. Ralf Jox
Researcher: Dre Anca Sterie
Duration: 2017 – 2019
Funding: regional foundation
In Switzerland, discussions about resuscitation are often held when elderly or seriously ill patients are admitted to hospital. According to the guidelines of the Swiss Academy of Medical Sciences, the decision about the possibility of resuscitation should be grounded in medical indication as well as the patient's preferences. Information provided by physicians can be influential in patient decision making.
The Chair has examined communication practices between elderly patients hospitalized at a geriatric rehabilitation center (CUTR Sylvana) and their hospital physicians recording hospital admission interviews and analyzing discussions of resuscitation code status options and preferences.
Dissemination of results.
- Sterie, A. C., Jox, R. J., & Rubli Truchard, E. (2022). Decision-making ethics in regards to life-sustaining interventions: when physicians refer to what other patients decide. BMC Medical Ethics, 23(1), 1-13
- Sterie A, Weber O, Jox RJ, Rubli Truchard E. 2021 " ‘Do you want us to try to resuscitate?’: Conversational practices generating patient decisions regarding cardiopulmonary resuscitation". Patient Education and Counseling. DOI: 10.1016/j.pec.2021.07.042
- Sterie A, Jones L, Jox RJ, Rubli Truchard E. 2021b. “ ‘It’s not magic’. A qualitative analysis of geriatric physicians' explanations of cardio‐pulmonary resuscitation in hospital admissions”. Health Expectations 24(3), 790-799, DOI: 10.1111/hex.13212
- Ferré Ibáñez MR, Sterie A, Jox J, Rubli Truchard E. 2019. "Contenu des discussions concernant la reanimation cardiopulmonaire avec les patients âgés". Revue Médicale Suisse, 15(670).
- Rubli Truchard E, Sterie A, Jox RJ. 2017. “Réanimation des personnes âgées: Comment aborder les préférences en amont ? », Revue Médicale Suisse, 13(548).
- Ferré Ibáñez MR, Sterie A, Jox J, Rubli Truchard E. 2019. "Contenu des discussions concernant la reanimation cardiopulmonaire avec les patients âgés". Revue Médicale Suisse, 15(670). https://www.revmed.ch/revue-medicale-suisse/2019/revue-medicale-suisse-670/contenu-des-discussions-concernant-la-reanimation-cardiopulmonaire-avec-les-patients-ages#tab=tab-read
Medical theses associated with this project
Dre Clara Castillo
- Castillo C, Rubli Truchard E, Bula C, Sterie AC. “Do physicians discuss Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) prognosis with hospitalized older patients? An analysis of admission interviews”. Congress of the European Association for Palliative Care (EAPC), October 2021. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/02692163211035909