In the Mycobacterial laboratory, the main activities include:
- Primary isolation service including microscopy and culture;
- Rapid molecular test (MTB/RIF GeneXpert) service for the detection of M. tuberculosis complex and rifampicin (and multidrug) resistance for respiratory specimen (7:00 to 22:00, 7/7days);
- Molecular test targeting the IS 6110 for the detection of M. tuberculosis complex in non-respiratory specimen as well as direct rifampicin (rpoB gene) and isoniazid (katG and inhA genes) resistance;
- PCR and sequencing based rapid identification of mycobacterium sp isolates;
- Drug susceptibility testing for first line drugs;
- Fast delivery of the strain to the Swiss Reference Laboratory in Zürich if a second line drugs susceptibility test is needed.